Problem: Burning wires
In the past, electrical connections were commonly made by a copper crimp connector that held together wires by smashing them. This is no longer a common practice, because it has shown that after years of use these connections often become faulty.
One reason is becuase when the temperature changes metal expands and contracts. The crimp connectors expand at a different rate than the associated wires within. This allows the wires to eventually loosen, causing bad connections. Bad connections heat up and allow for corrosion to build up. This reaction spirals to the point that the material around the joint can combust and a fire starts.
What intensifies the danger is that these connections are covered with tape and the problem is hidden from view inside the wall until it is too late. Since the problem is on the same leg of power the breaker panel cannot detect the situation, and so it will not trigger. This means that usually nobody notices anything wrong until after a fire starts—if anyone is even around or awake to see it.
Here are a few examples of this:
We at Mister Sparky Electric run into this dangerous situation a few times a month. This method of wiring was common between 20 to 50 years ago so more and more this problem is beginning to surface. Generally we find that if one unit in a complex or house in a neighborhood has this condition—the rest of the buildings are in the same danger because of similar construction. The problem just has to surface or a fire start somewhere first.
Call us today for a home inspection and make sure your wiring is up to date. Mention CityScoop when you call!