Our heat bills significantly increase in costs during the winter when the furnace works overtime to keep the home heated. The added costs can put a strain on an already tight budget, although consumers without financial burdens still hate the idea of spending more to heat their homes.
How to Conserve Energy in Your Home
The following tips can help conserve heat in the winter, in turn making your space more comfortable while reducing costs of monthly energy bills.
- Open the blinds during the day when the sun is shining. The sunshine will help heat up the home, creating a warmer, more comfortable environment for your family. Be sure to close the blinds when night falls to conserve that added heat from the sun since heat loss can occur.
- Check for leaks and drafts around your doors and windows. These gaps can allow cold air to enter your home and decrease its warmth by as much as 50%. Repairing gaps usually requires nothing more than a little bit of caulk and weatherstripping. It is a fairly simple DIY job, but professionals can also take care of the work if you prefer.
- Close doors to unused rooms. If a room is not in use for several hours or used at all, why heat the room? You can close the vent and the door to save energy and heat for other home areas.
- Turn the thermostat down when you go to sleep. The U.S. Department of Energy reports typical savings equal to about 10% for those who lower the temperature on the thermostat by just a few degrees at night.
- Consider upgrading your current thermostat to a smart thermostat. This thermostat can conserve energy, save money, and provide convenience to your family.
Schedule an HVAC Tune-Up
HVAC service in Birmingham keeps your unit working efficiently, resulting in a warmer home and reduced energy costs. Schedule your appointment with our HVAC experts today if it’s been a year or longer since your last HVAC tune-up.
Absolute Air offers a wide array of services, including, but not limited to, AC installation, AC repair, heating installation, heating repair, metal fabrication (for all types of ductwork), refrigeration, and gas line installation. Our trained team of technicians can also service and work on equipment brands such as American Standard, Train, Carrier, York, Goodman, Rudd, and Mitsubishi, to name a few.
If you have a service request not mentioned here, give us a call.