What to look for and how to know
Not sure what to look for?
- The dashboard on your vehicle is designed to report problems on your vehicle. If there is a light on which normally should not be, have it inspected by a professional.
- Any noises which may sound like grinding or screeching. Might be caused by worn brake pads.
- Inspect your brake fluid container. If the container is not filled up to the marks. There might be a problem with connecting hoses or one of the brake boosters could be malfunctioning.
- Vehicle pulling to one side only when pressing the brake pedal. This might be blocked or worn brake cylinders or supply hoses.
- Vibration when braking. This might be caused by warped disks or worn brake pads.
- When pressing the brake pedal, it seems soft or spongy. This might be caused by air in the supply system. Vehicle needs bleeding.
It is always a better idea to have your vehicle inspected sooner than later when noticing something different on your vehicle. Use a mechanic with a good track record.
Why would something suddenly seem different on my vehicle?
Some factors which cause problems on your vehicle
- Shoddy workmanship. Taking the vehicle to someone who pretends to know what they are doing or someone who does not have the necessary tools to work on the problem.
- Replacement parts. If the parts which need to be replaced are for the wrong vehicle or not the recommended parts for the vehicle.
- Wear and tear. Nothing lasts forever, parts have a lifetime.
What is next?
It is important to make sure your vehicle is road worthy. To make sure the vehicle is safe and without hazard for yourself and fellow road users, you must comply with certain standards and pass some inspections. One of the inspections is done on the braking system. If you fail this test your vehicle is legally not road worthy and might be removed from the road. Get the vehicle inspected by a professional mechanic without waiting too long. Sometimes the problem on the vehicle might be cheap to fix and the longer you wait, the more problems might arise from the one you are having. Let us know immediately when you suspect a problem with your braking system.
Knowing small problems could lead to big problems. It is always safer to take your vehicles for inspection as soon as something seems wrong. Be sure to use a professional!