Tips for choosing the right location for your session
“What’s the best location for my next lifestyle session?” That’s the question that I hear the most after, “What should I wear?”. Choosing the right location for your session is an important part of your session. The surrounding area is going to be the backdrop for your precious memories.
Things to consider
- What is the look and feel that you are going for? If you are imaging light and airy images, a session in the middle of the redwoods is probably not going to give you that feel. A beach session might be a better choice.
- Does the location speak to you? Choosing a location that has a special meaning will add meaning and emotion to your session. The spot where your sweetie proposed will bring back fond memories. Your family’s favorite park is a great location where the kids will feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Consider what your family likes to do. If your family loves playing board games, an in-home game session will tell your story better than a generic session at the park.
- Consider the logistics: are there restrooms nearby? How close is parking? Will the location be crowded?
- Park Sessions
- Parks are great for family sessions. There are usually grassy areas that are great for getting down and playing with the little ones. Playgrounds can be loads of fun and allow the photographer to capture your kids, just being kids.
- Beach Sessions
- Beach sessions work for any type of session. Be prepared to get your feet wet and let the littles run and play.
- Urban Sessions
- The shops and streets of your local downtown area make a great backdrop for sessions. Are you and your family foodies? A session outside your favorite restaurant can be a blast.
- In-home Sessions
- Don’t forget the most obvious place for sessions, your home. Where are you most comfortable and at ease?
When you’re planning your next session, reach out and I’ll send you my location guide with some of my favorite locations.