Making the switch from fluorescent lighting to LED lighting in a business can be a big change. For decades, fluorescent lighting has been the go-to lighting. But in recent years, LED lighting is becoming more and more popular for its durability, many lighting options, and energy efficiency. In addition to all of these benefits of LED lighting, they are also better for the environment. Making the switch to LED lights can be beneficial for both the budget and the environment, making them one of the best lighting options available on the market today.
LED Lights Reduce Emissions
Because LED bulbs are long-lasting, fewer can be produced, and they don’t need to be replaced as often.
This is beneficial for the environment as it results in the reduction of emissions and pollution. According to recent studies, the switch to LED lights in recent years has reduced the output of carbon dioxide emissions by 570 million tons. Additionally, LED bulbs don’t burn fossil fuels, which decreases pollution.
LED lights utilize 95% of energy and convert it to lighting, while only 5% is wasted as heat. In contrast, fluorescent lighting only utilizes 5% of the energy that is converted to lighting, while the other 95% is wasted as heat.
Therefore, LED lighting draws less power than other types of lighting, which means less energy is used and power plant demand is reduced, in turn reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
LED Lights Reduce the Use of Toxic Chemicals
Fluorescent lights can contain harmful chemicals such as mercury. When these light bulbs are disposed of in the landfill, the toxic chemicals will contaminate the environment. However, LED lights contain no toxic chemicals. While they should still be disposed of correctly, they don’t pose a threat to the environment like fluorescent lighting.
LED Lights Use Less Energy Consumption
With LED lighting, light is focused on areas of need and not wasted on other spaces, such as ceilings or walls. This means less lighting is required to achieve the same level of brightness. Fewer lights equal lower energy consumption, which is beneficial for the environment.
The savings on monthly energy bills and fewer lighting expenses make the switch to LED worth it, but the added bonus of LED lights being environmentally-friendly makes it a win-win on every front. For more information about how you can make the switch to LED lighting, contact our experts at US LED today.