The truth of the matter is that many times the property damage caused by water could be avoided. In fact, more than 90% of issues could have been handled with proper home maintenance. The problem is so many people think they can fix a “simple leak” on their own whether it’s a leaky pipe or a roof leak, rather than calling in the professionals. However, water damage isn’t always visible, and very often if you see it on the surface of a wall or floor, there’s likely to be more damage deep inside which can lead to structural issues that can compromise the integrity of the structure of your home.
An even bigger problem here in the heat of Southwest Florida is mold grows quickly here so delaying remediation, dry out or getting the leak fixed means you end up with a much more serious problem that could affect your health. In the end, not getting that leak looked at immediately, and not getting the moisture dried up right away will end up costing you much more money to fix.
The signs of water damage can sometimes be tricky to see, so here are some things to look out for:
- Drywall or paint that is bubbling, cracking or flaking.
- Musty, damp mildewy smells. Dampness has a pretty distinct smell, so if you smell that, even if you don’t see anything, give us a call to check it out with our moisture meters.
- The sound of running water. You may not be able to see if, but if you hear dripping or running water, call immediately.
- Dark spots or wet spots on the ceiling or walls of your home. Watermarks are not just unsightly; they are a sign that water has been dripping on that spot for a while.
- Pools of water or puddles on the floor.
- A much more expensive utility bill than normal. Whether it’s your water bill, or even your electricity bill, if there’s been an uptick in your utility costs, it could be a leak, or in the case of your HVAC system, a backed-up condensate line, which could spill over and cause water damage.
At Spectrum & Cleaning Restoration, we have the experience to realize that water damage often does not appear to the naked eye. For this reason, our technicians use thermal scanners to detect areas of moisture that otherwise might go hidden. Next, our restoration professionals go to work, using top-of-the-line tools made from leading brands like Phoenix, Dri-Eaz, and Saphire Scientific. All of our technicians are licensed, insured, and certified by both the IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification) and NORMI (National Organization of Remediators and Mold Inspectors).
Don’t let water damage sneak up on your home. Let Spectrum Cleaning & Restoration handle every aspect of the clean-up and restoration. Call (239) 910-6381 to learn more about our services. We’re proud to serve homeowners and businesses in Fort Myers, as well as the surrounding areas of Southwest Florida such as Cape Coral, Estero, Bonita Springs, Naples, and more.