What do you think of when you think of the cause of household water damage? Living in a sub-tropical climate like Fort Myers, you may conjure images of weather-related flooding due to storm events such as tropical storms and hurricanes. However, the actual source of water damage is typically due to much more mundane issues. It could emanate from something as minor as a leaking pipe or a broken gutter. It could stem from a malfunctioning appliance such as a washing machine or a dishwasher. Even a leaky drain line on your HVAC unit could be the culprit.
It is important that you look for and discover what the actual source of the water leak is. Once you have identified the potential cause of your water damage, you can take some simple steps to remediate the damage, including calling Spectrum Cleaning and Restoration to come out and dry out the damaged areas, remediate the possible mold issues and restore your home to its original splendor.
But before damage even happens, here are some ways to lower the risk of water damage in your Southwest Florida home:
- Check your appliances regularly for any signs of a leak, including the hoses on your washing machine.
- Have your gutters cleaned at least once per season, preventing the accumulation of leaves and other organic debris that can cause water spillover.
- Inspect your roof after any major storm for missing shingles or other signs of damage. Given the climate in the greater Fort Myers area, we also recommend yearly inspections of your roof by a professional.
- Check your monthly water bill for any sudden spike in cost or usage. This could indicate an undetected leak somewhere in your plumbing system.
- Check windows, doors and floors for any holes or cracks that could allow for water to enter your home.
- Be sure your attic is well ventilated and insulated to cut down on humidity in your home.
- If you do have a worry that there is a leak behind your walls or under your floorboards, be sure to call us to professionally find that leak with our professional moisture detection tools.