Fertility struggles have increase dramatically over the last few decades. Whether it’s due to lifestyle, diet, environmental toxins, or other causes, many more couples are struggling to conceive within a year of trying. Yet you can take control of your health and increase your fertility! Here are a handful of research-backed supplements and additional modalities that can support your fertility during Trimester Zero.
(Please note that male factor infertility is estimated to contribute to up to 50% of fertility issues, so if you are with a male partner please make sure that he is being screened for potential issues and is also making appropriate dietary, health, and supplement changes to support his fertility.)
If you have not experienced fertility struggles but want to make sure your egg quality is high and your miscarriage risk is as low as possible, I recommend taking:
- CoQ10 in the form of ubiquinol, at a dose of 200mg per day. Ubiquinol is more easily absorbed than CoQ10. This is a supplement that provides more energy to cells, allowing cells (such as your egg cells) to function optimally. Studies have shown a lower rate of chromosomal abnormalities in women supplementing with CoQ10.
- Vitamin D. Research shows that having low levels of Vitamin D is correlated with a higher risk of miscarriage. It’s best to get your Vitamin D levels checked by your doctor, but if that’s not possible, it is recommended and safe to supplement with 2,000IU of Vitamin D per day.
- The right prenatal multivitamin. Prenatal multivitamins vary HIGHLY in their contents and purity. You’ll want to ensure that your prenatal multivitamin includes at least 800mcg of methyfolate rather than synthetic folate, as many people can’t properly metabolize synthetic folate (and are therefore at higher risk of miscarriage and fetal neural tube defects). Your prenatal should also contain adequate amounts of DHA and EPA (omega-3 fatty acids), which is crucial both for conception and fetal health. Make sure that your prenatal vitamin is quality tested and has minimal additives and fillers.
If you are experiencing fertility struggles you will want to add some additional supplements that help to improve egg quality:
- Inositol. This helps to regulate blood sugar and is shown to improve egg and embryo quality (especially for women with PCOS and/or insulin resistance). It may also help to reduce recurrent miscarriage.
- Melatonin. In addition to supporting sleep, this supplement is shown to improve egg and embryo quality, especially for women with diminished ovarian reserve.
- R-Alpha-Lipoic-Acid. An antioxidant that assists with cellular energy production and can improve egg maturation and embryo quality, especially for women with PCOS and/or insulin resistance.
- N-Acetyl-Cysteine. This antioxidant can increase egg quality. For women with PCOS, it can also restore ovulation and reduce miscarriage rates.
- Vitamin E. This supplement can improve egg quality.
You can access my recommended brands and doses of these supplements at: us.fullscript.com/welcome/janetthomson1
In addition to these supplements, acupuncture and herbal medicine are fantastic natural methods of reducing stress, improving digestion, increasing blood flow to the uterus, and regularizing menstrual cycles.
If you’d like to know more about how acupuncture, herbs, and supplements can support you in your fertility journey, please reach me through my website at www.janetacu.com. I look forward to helping you create the family of your dreams!