Is there mold growth in your attic? Here are a few things you must know.
One of the best places for mold to grow and thrive in is your attic. The attic in your house is dark, moist and humid, and that is all mold needs to grow. Furthermore, it is very rare that a homeowner bothers to pay a visit to the attic, and therefore, mold gets all the time it needs to grow. By the time they come to know about mold damage in the attic, it‘s already too late. Let’s take a look at some of the telltale signs of mold damage in the attic.
Signs of Mold in the Attic
- One of the common signs of mold in the attic is the dark discoloration on wooden surfaces. If you notice this in your attic, things have become very bad, and you need to seek professional mold remediation in Metrowest, MA.
- In a perfect world, an attic should feel cool and windy. However, when there is mold growth in the attic, things can get a little stuffy and congested.
- Another sign of mold buildup in the attic is the layer of frost under the roof sheathing, during the winter season.
- Mold damage makes the insulation in your attic deteriorate with time. Furthermore, upon touching, you may feel a layer of moisture on the insulation. This indicates mold growth.
- Lastly, the presence of mold in the attic results in a pungent and musty odor.
Causes of Mold Growth in the Attic
- Lack of ventilation
- Lack of dryer vents or bathroom fans
- Leakage in the roof or siding
- Leaking from plumbing and air conditioning units
- Improper installation of soffit vents and insulation
Prevention of Mold Growth in the Attic
Now that we have talked about the signs and causes of mold growth in the attic, let’s talk about ways to prevent mold growth in the attic.
- Pay attention to the leakages near the attic area. Keep a close eye on the ceiling as well as the pipes running through nearby. Make sure the wood and insulation aren’t discolored. Also inspect the area for any cracks in the pipes as well as the ceiling.
- Ensure there is adequate ventilation in the attic space.
- Insulate your attic. Attic insulation is necessary for a number of reasons. One of the best things about attic insulation is that it minimizes temperature and also reduces the amount of moisture, which is instrumental to mold growth. Just be sure the insulation does not cover the ventilation points for the attic.
For personal safety and building safety, mold and other microbial growth removal is best left to professionals like Service Team of Professionals (STOP). STOP Metrowest will help determine the sources of the microbial growth, remove the mold, and help determine ways to help prevent further growth.
STOP Metrowest is an IICRC Certified Firm – safe, quality, and compassionate service is our priority! We provide mold inspection and removal in Framingham MA or other Metrowest MA communities like Natic MA, Sherborn MA, and Southborough MA. Call STOP MetroWest at 508-753-3780.
For more information, visit our webpage at STOP Metrowest.