Fleas are annoying but a common pest control issue faced by pet owners. Even households without pets can find themselves affected by fleas if the neighbors are pet owners or if previous tenants owned pets. Whatever the situation, knowing how to get rid of fleas can resolve the itching, biting, and misery fleas cause when they infest the inside of your home.
EPA Approach to Treating Fleas
As pest control experts, we recommend following the EPA recommendations for treating a flea infestation in your home. The steps recommended:
- Vacuum your floors, mattresses, and upholstery. Do not forget right corners since they give frightened fleas a great hiding spot. Clean out the dirt cup or change the vacuum bag after vacuuming to remove the fleas and larvae and to prevent retransmission.
- Steam clean the freshly vacuumed floors. If you do not own a steam cleaner, many markets offer rentals for a low daily price. Steam cleaning carpets and upholstery further ensures all fleas and larvae are removed.
- Wash bedding in hot water. Be sure to use a strong detergent when washing bedding and other linens. Dry the bedding on the highest heat setting in the dryer.
- Treat your pest using a veterinarian-approved flea treatment. Now is a good time to hope Fido loves to bathe! It’s a good idea to schedule an appointment with the vet for further flea treatment to prevent reinfestation.
- Wash all of Fido’s bedding, too! Nothing helps a pup sleep more soundly at night than freshly laundered bedding. The bonus is that it helps remove fleas so they’re not back in your home days after treatment.
- Spray the home with an aerosol flea control spray until professionals can make it to the home to provide more intrusive flea treatments.
- Remove all debris from the lawn, including cardboard and wood.
- Keep the lawn trimmed. Nearly cut grass does not provide fleas with a hiding spot and they’ll move onward as a result.
- Invest in nematodes. Talk to your local gardening center to learn more about these small worms that eat insect larvae.
- Call a pest control company to treat the home for fleas. Our pest control experts are standing by to help rid your home of fleas in the most cost-effective, efficient manner possible.
Get Rid of Fleas
Fleas are not a mandatory part of pet ownership. Do not suffer through a flea infestation when preventing, treating, and keeping them away is possible. Follow the steps above to take a proactive approach to maintaining a flea-free home.
Southern Pride Pest Control is a full-service pest control company headquartered in Muscle Shoals, AL. SPPC specializes in pest control and prevention services including termite control, rodent control, bed bug control, ant control, and mosquito control, and can even help with moisture control around your residence or commercial property. Established in 2010, Southern Pride Pest Control is a reliable source of quality pest-management solutions delivered by a team you can trust.
Call us today for any of your pest control needs.