The average person takes 8,000 steps a day, but one slip and fall accident can stop you in your tracks for months…or forever!
The Bronx personal injury law firm of Feiner & Lavy handles slip and fall cases, so we thought we would like to share some of our knowledge about this topic with friends, clients and interested parties.
While specific data can be hard to come by, there is a lot of research that has been done on slip and fall accidents. And while we feel that this data is reliable, there’s a part of it that you as a reader should know – there are many cases where the injuries are never reported, and that information escapes collection.
We compiled a list of our Top 11 data points about slip and fall accidents:
- Hazardous floors are the leading cause of accidents, and most of those accidents are due to a wet surface
- More than 37 million falls annually are severe enough to require medical attention
- Falls are the leading cause of emergency room visits in America, resulting in more than a million incidents each year
- A third of all slip and fall cases will result in serious injuries, including broken bones
- The average cost of medical treatment for slip and fall or trip and fall injuries is around $50,000
- One widely cited statistic notes that slip and fall injury victims miss an average of 11 days of work
- People over 60 are the age group that experiences the greatest number of fatal falls
- 40-percent of nursing home admissions are the result of falls
- Hip fractures are the most serious, result in the greatest number of long-term health problems, and half of the people over 65 who suffer a hip injury are unable to continue living independently
- More women than men will be the victim of a slip and fall accident.
- Fewer than two-in-10 slip and fall cases ends up going to trial
To us, this data is so alarming that the attorneys at Feiner & Lavy decided to go into the field of personal injury law, and to specialize in slip and fall accidents. It’s our concern that there are not enough lawyers who grasp the long-term effects of such injuries and are truly willing to fight hard for their clients. We have seen what the suffering and costs look like. Hospitalizations, surgeries, rehabilitation therapy, at home care, a loss of mobility, loss of livelihood, loss of income, and the pain and suffering that accompanies an injury are very unpleasant for the victim. And while the owner of the property may be a nice and sincere person who truly feels sad about what happened on his property, his lawyers and insurance company are not there to make anyone feel good. They have a well-oiled response team ready to pounce on slip and fall cases and to try to minimize a payout, so you are left with many of the expenses from a fall that wasn’t your fault.
As one of the best Bronx personal injury law firms, Feiner & Lavy knows that if you are hurt in a slip and fall accident, you need to talk to a lawyer. Don’t take that settlement until you call Feiner & Lavy! The experience and knowledge accumulated during many decades of combined experience representing personal injury cases and the broad range of capabilities we have developed during our years in practice are the keys that enable us to successfully win you the settlement you deserve. We are a local Bronx personal injury law firm that knows our courts, our borough and our clients. We develop very friendly relationships with our clients, and we pride ourselves on our level of determination – we will not stop until our clients’ cases are resolved with the highest possible payout. If you believe you have been injured at the hands of another, call us today at 212-393-9130 for a free consultation.