Did you detect mold growth in your dorm room? Follow the steps mentioned below to get rid of it.
Mold removal in the dorm room is completely different from your everyday housekeeping projects. Mold in your dorm room can spread very quickly. Mold spores are tiny particles that cannot be seen by the naked eye. They tend to move from one place to another and cause mold damage wherever they can find moisture and an organic food source. If left untreated, the mold inside your dorm room can damage the structure of the building as well as affect your health. In the following paragraphs, we will give you some tips that will help you get rid of mold in your dorm room.
So, let’s begin.
Mold Removal in the Dorm Room
Generally, mold removal in the dorm room isn’t very complicated, but it can be if you don’t follow the right steps. The slightest negligence on your part can cause the mold to spread quickly from one room to another. Make sure you follow the steps mentioned below.
Assess the Damage
If mold is spread over 3 square feet on a particular wall, try not to clean it up. Only tackle mold on surfaces that are non-porous in nature. However, chances are that mold has taken over a porous surface and has spread over a larger area. If that is the case, it is better to seek help from a professional
Keep Yourself Safe
Use the basic safety gear to keep yourself safe. The things you will need include latex gloves, shoe covers, facemasks, and goggles. Also, you will need heavy-duty plastic trash bags. However, it is still in your best interest to seek professional mold remediation services in Las Vegas, NV.
Make Sure Other Dorm Rooms Are Safe
Before you start cleaning away mold in your dorm room, make sure the door and windows of other dorm rooms are shut. To make things even safer, make sure the doors and windows are covered with plastic sheets. Similarly, the ceiling vents should be shut as well.
Use the Correct Cleaning Products
Some of the most common mold removal products include bleach, vinegar, baking soda, borax, tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, and household detergents. However, you should refrain from using bleach to get rid of mold. Bleach is toxic in nature, and doesn’t clean mold, especially when it has effected a porous material.
Scrub and Dry
Dip a brush in a cleaning solution and start scrubbing the affected areas. During the process, make sure you rinse the area several times. The buckets, rags and brushes used in mold removal should be thrown away. After you are done, turn on the fans and dry the treated areas so that the moisture doesn’t bring mold back.