Summer is in full swing, which means one thing for many homeowners – air conditioning repair season! If you’re lucky, your AC will only give you a few problems throughout the summer. But if you’re unlucky, your AC could start making weird noises. Don’t panic – we’re here to help!
Our team at The Plumbing & Air Service Co will be happy to take a look at your AC and diagnose the problem. We have seen it all, so our experts know how to fix any issue you may be having. Reach out today, and let us help you keep your cool this summer!
Weird Noises Coming From an A/C Unit and Its Causes
Here are some of the most common Weird Noises From an A/C Unit and their causes:
- Banging or Popping – If your unit starts making banging or popping noises, it could be due to loose parts or debris in the unit. Turn off the power to the unit and check for loose screws or bolts. If you find any, tighten them up and see if that solves the problem. If not, you may need to call a technician to take a look.
- Hissing – A hissing noise may indicate a Freon leak in the system. It is a severe problem that should be addressed by a trained technician immediately.
- Humming – A humming noise is typically nothing to worry about, as it is simply the sound of the fan running. However, if the noise is loud, it could signify that the fan motor is going wrong and will need to be replaced.
- Squealing – If your unit starts squealing, it could signify that the belt that powers the fan motor is loose or worn out. Again, turn off the power to the unit and check the belt. If it is loose, tighten it up. If it is worn out, you will need to replace it.
How Can You Prevent Strange Noises Coming From AC?
The best way to prevent strange noises from coming from your AC is to have it serviced by a professional at least once a year. It will allow them to catch any potential problems before they become significant issues. Additionally, keep the area surrounding your unit clean and free of debris. A build-up of dirt and leaves can cause problems, including strange noises.
How Can You Tell if Your A/C Is in Need of Repair or Needs a Tune-up?
If you’re not sure whether your AC needs a tune-up or if it needs repair, there are a few things you can look for:
– Weird noises, as we mentioned above.
– Poor airflow. If your unit is not blowing air as hard as it used to, it may be time for a tune-up.
– High energy bills. If your AC is working overtime to cool your home, it may be time for a repair.
What Should You Do if You Hear Strange Noises Coming From Your A/C Unit?
If you hear strange noises coming from your AC unit, you should first turn off the power to the unit. Then, look at the unit to see any obvious issues, such as loose screws or a worn-out belt. Call a professional AC repair technician if you can’t find the problem or if you’re not comfortable fixing it yourself. Experts will be able to diagnose and fix the problem quickly and efficiently.
If you’re in the Jamestown, NC area and your AC unit is making strange noises, give us a call at The Plumbing & Air Service Co today! We’ll be happy to take a look and get your AC unit back up and running smoothly.