Do you suspect mold damage in your basement? Here are a few signs to look out for.
Mold spores are tiny particles that are present in the very atmosphere that we live in. The only problem is that they are too small to be seen by the naked eye. To grow and cause mold damage, these spores need water, humidity, and an organic food source.
Mold growth can take place anywhere on your property, and the basement isn’t an exception. Whether mold grows in your basement or anywhere else, mold is detrimental to your home’s structure as well as your health. In the following paragraphs, we will take a look at some of the most common signs of mold damage within the basement.
So, let’s dive right in.
Stains On the Walls
One of the most common signs of mold damage in the basement is the appearance of unsightly stains and marks on the walls. These stains are greenish, brownish or grey. Some people mistake these stains for mere discolorations, thus allowing them the time they need to worsen. Some people make the mistake of painting over these moldy surfaces. Painting may make these stains go away for a little while, but this isn’t a permanent solution, instead, it will only worsen the problem, as mold will continue to live within the walls, thus causing more damage. To get rid of these stains, you should seek professional mold remediation services in Charlotte, NC.
Pungent and Musty Odors
Another common sign of mold damage in the basement is the presence of pungent and musty odors. Some people are oblivious to the stench of mold and mildew. They tend to mistake these odors for something else and ignore them, until mold and mildew begin to weaken the foundation of their home. They also don’t know that mold and mildew can result in severe allergies and respiratory problems such as asthma. If you smell something pungent and musty inside the basement, make sure you have the basement checked by a professional mold restoration company in Charlotte, NC.
Heat and Stuffiness
The basement is the lowest portion of your home. Therefore, it isn’t uncommon for it to be just a little warm. However, the unnecessary heat and stuffiness within the basement allude to mold growth. As we have already discussed, to grow and thrive, mold needs some water, some dampness and an organic source of food. The heat and stuffiness create the perfect environment for mold to grow within your basement and wreak havoc. Make sure you ventilate the basement properly, and use a dehumidifier if the need arises. Meanwhile, it is important to have the basement professionally inspected.