How can you prevent mold from growing in your home after rainfall? Keep reading to find out.
The sound of rain pouring on your window is inarguably one of the most relaxing sounds. With that said, rainfall brings with it a whole host of problems for homeowners. However, one problem that ranks quite high is that of mold, particularly if a house is made of wood or other materials that can soak water.
This is because mold tends to thrive in moist and wet conditions and rainfall presents the perfect opportunity for mold to take root in your home. Once it takes roots, it can quickly spread through your entire home and ruin its structural integrity. This is why you must do everything in your power to prevent mold from growing in your house after rainfall.
Here are some steps that you can take to keep mold at bay:
Dry Your Home Completely
Even though it seems like the first thing to do, most people often forget or neglect the simple task of ensuring that their home is completely dry after a rainfall. As soon as the rain ends, make sure to dry all household items or surfaces that are wet such as your furniture, carpet, clothes, etc. Drying these items is important because mold can’t survive without moisture. For drying your clothes, hang them in a well-ventilated space to avoid humidity.
Ventilate Your Home
When it rains, the first thing that you do is shut the windows and doors close. Even though it is effective in keeping rainwater out, it can also help the mold inside your home to grow. This is because keeping the doors and windows closed prevents your home from being ventilated, which leads mold to thrive. To counteract that, increase circulation in your home so that you can prevent moisture buildup. Turn the fans and the HVAC system on. Just make sure that the system is dry and clean or it will promote mold growth.
Look Through Your House for Water Stains
Rainfall presents you the perfect opportunity to look around your house for any wet spots or leaks that you can find. If you spot any leaks in your ceiling, then it could mean that you have cracks in your roof and there might even be potential mold sites around your home. With that said, detecting the leaks early on can help you prevent mold growth.
Disinfect the Suspected Areas
If you spot a wet surface in your home and suspect that there might be mold growing on it, then disinfect it right away. You can use a disinfectant such as concentrated bleach to remove small quantities of mold. However, mold spores that have multiplied and formed a large colony need to be cleaned by a professional mold remediation company as it can be hazardous.