Thinking of taking up a deck framing job? Here’s everything you need to know about the value of deck framing and other important tips from a local decking contractor!
Your home’s outdoor space is so much more than just a place to sit by the fire pit with a cup of hot chocolate in the fall or grill burgers during a summer barbecue. Rather, it’s a place to make lifelong memories with your close friends and family members.
So, if you want your deck to be durable and more importantly, be a safe place to spend time with your loved ones, you need to start with a robust foundation and a solid frame. Thankfully, there are clear guidelines and time-tested techniques for installing the posts, foundation, ledgers, beams, and joists when framing a deck.
What Is Deck Framing?
The process of framing a deck includes creating connections between beams, support posts, and joists to build a code-compliant deck structure.
Deck framing is probably the most important part of building a deck. If the structure isn’t designed to carry the required load, or if the framing is not square or level, building the remaining deck features like stairs and railing will be difficult and frustrating. Thus, it’s much easier to build a deck correctly from the start.
Tips from a Local Decking Contractor on Deck Framing
- Make sure the deck is attached to the house with lag bolts or other proper substitutes. It’s not recommended to attach the deck using only nails.
- Ensure that the joists are properly supported with either joist hangers or a carrying beam.
- Ensure that the posts sitting on and attached to concrete footings. Remember that it’s not acceptable to bury a post in the ground for two reasons. Firstly, the post will not be properly supported. Secondly, there’s a high risk of your wood becoming rotten when buried.
- Use your best judgment. Eyeball everything to make sure it looks okay. You should also carefully check for joists that are rotting or are pulling away from the other framing. Similarly, if your deck is sagging or feels bouncy, try and understand why it’s happening.
- If you feel doubtful or confused at any point, call a professional decking contractor.
- Don’t forget to check with your local building department for the latest building codes and requirements.
- If you have a rectangular or square deck, make sure to measure diagonally from one corner to another (Pull from the same position on both sides). If your measurements aren’t the same, it means that the deck isn’t even.
Last Few Words
From ecofriendly composite decking to PVC decking, Metamorphosis Construction is highly knowledgeable about the benefits and drawbacks of each product and will guide you throughout the process. Let us create the perfect deck as part of your outdoor living paradise.