Is CBD Oil Bad for Dogs? A Vet’s Opinion
CBD oils are a popular topic in the pet industry. They’re touted as being able to help with everything from arthritis to anxiety, but what does an actual vet think? Find out now!
First, what is CBD oil?
CBD oil is a type of cannabis extract that can be used to help dogs with pain, anxiety, and even seizures. Unlike THC-based products (like medical marijuana), CBD does not produce psychoactive effects so it’s legal in all 50 states.
The use of medicinal hemp isn’t new: as early as the 17th century, Queen Elizabeth I made it available for her horses when she couldn’t find a more suitable remedy at hand. But until recently there was no scientific evidence to prove its worth.
What are some reasons vets might advise against using CBD?
So far, the two most prevalent reasons why a veterinarian would not advise or suggest CBD are because they either don’t understand it enough to make an educated recommendation and/or because it has issues being legal.
- CBD is a substance that recently has been making waves as it becomes more popular for its pain relief properties.
- In the United States, there are many anecdotal reports from pet owners who have given CBD to their pets and seen improvement in symptoms such as arthritis or joint inflammation.
- The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) states that while research on this matter may still be in progress, they do not think any scientific evidence can dispute these stories of success with CBD treatment among animals.
The lack of knowledge is understandable but the legality makes it a hard sell on vets, who are bound by law to not prescribe or recommend any substances that have yet to be approved for animal use by the FDA. It’s worth noting that these laws don’t apply when CBD comes from hemp – which can make all the difference in this case! Hemp-derived CBD products are made without THC so they’re legal as long as you buy them through state-regulated channels like dispensaries or licensed retailers.
- There are new breakthroughs in the CBD market thanks to a recent change in legislation. The 2018 Farm Bill has eliminated hemp-derived cannabis with extremely low levels of THC from the Controlled Substances Act.
- It means it is no longer classified as marijuana and can be sold on major websites like Amazon or eBay for medical use!
- This change makes more than half of states legalizing medicinal marijuana possible, providing an even larger opportunity for clinical studies that would have been restricted before this law was enacted.
There are Vets Who Support the Use of CBD Oils
Whether or not they were directly responsible for a patient purchasing CBD for their dog, veterinarians will nonetheless observe the effects over time if they are aware that the dog is taking CBD. As a consequence, they begin to recognize CBD’s advantages. Veterinarians have seen an excellent response in their pets, and are now more open with how they use CBD themselves.
It may be a while before we know if there are any major long-term side effects associated with CBD for pets – but in the meantime, as more research is being conducted to see what else it can help treat or cure, pet owners should have all their bases covered by using hemp-based products where they’re legal. Laws and research are always evolving. If you want to try CBD for your dog, do your research first and then inform your veterinarian.
Are You Looking for an Amazing CBD Shop for Your Dog?
Mary Jane’s CBD Dispensary is an expanding chain of dispensaries that specializes in providing high-quality products for your dog and you! Check out our online store or come see us if you happen to live near Memphis, Tennessee. We have the highest quality CBD products available in Memphis, Tennessee. Stop by our new location and see for yourself all of your options from Hemp to high-quality vape liquids! We also specialize in CBD oils for your pets with lab reports that will provide you with reliable information about what’s inside each bottle. If you don’t live near us or want something delivered right to your doorstep, just check out our online store – we ship nationwide!