Nobody expected the way the corporate world would change. Along with new business methods, the marketing of an organization to potential clients has changed dramatically. Modern forms of marketing and advertising allowed an organization to get rid of consumers with expensive and unpleasant campaigns such as newspapers and local TV announcements. The game has changed and that means that to ensure your success, you need a digital marketing firm to work with you.
Digital marketing has allowed firms, with pay ads and organic ranking methods, to conveniently position themselves online at little to no expense. A digital agency may give you the tools , skills or experience you can lack. This will give you an objective view of your company and will share best practices and innovative approaches to success with you. Before signing up with a digital marketing service, you should be searching with five big red flags. None of this alone is a deal breaker, but every cause for caution is sufficient.
Here are 5 red flags to watch out for when choosing a digital marketing agency:
- Promises too good to be true. Great agencies will get you on the first page-even in the first place often. Good things will happen after months of hard work, ongoing in-depth competitor research, sticking to a rigorous strategic plan and regular site safety audits. They may also have a huge effect on the output of paying media, but can never offer a 100 percent guarantee. In this industry, there are no real guarantees. If an agency guarantees significant results within a short amount of time, that is the number one red flag. You want to get into a contract more than get realistic results. Another possibility is that they employ methods of black-hat or gray-hat that can penalize your website. The long-term downside that comes with a search penalty is not worth any short-term traffic spikes.
- No proof of excellence. Best known agencies will happily include case studies – but take it one step further and seek references. Much better than a phone number and the challenge of making a benchmark call (for all parties), other businesses have video references in which their client speaks about all the customer’s experience. Nothing is better than hearing from customers who deal with the agency they worked with.
- Offers generic services. A customized strategy implemented by talented and detailed marketing professionals is no substitute. If the deals of an agency are bundled or other items are add-ons, the approach would probably be shallow. Recruit an organization which can communicate clearly its offerings and highlight personalized strategies. Look carefully at the proposal of the future agency. Does the presentation appear generic, or is it adapted to your company? How can you believe the agency’s strategy will stack after you sign up if it is not customary when it puts its foot forward?
- Single Focused. If an organization focuses only on a particular aspect of its work or benchmark, they would probably not have a holistic strategy. They are likely not to invest time and money in a relationship which helps both companies develop and reach their specific goals but are just trying to deliver a service. Finally, you want to collaborate with an organization who wants to know your target market and ICP (Ideal Customer Person) closely so that they can respond to their sales driving strategy – and not just traffic. Keep an eye on organizations that only take credit for KPIs that do not lead to your end. Please be careful agencies that ask you questions. You need to know, what’s your ICP? How much is your average sale? How close is this to you? What is the value of your customer’s life? These are the kind of questions that demonstrate how effective the agency is.
- Bad/No Online Presence. You assume that they know how to do something if you pay them. Experience is of the utmost importance. How can your company be successfully bring to market if they haven’t worked out how to market themselves online? Check their own online presence for past examples. Choose a digital marketing agency that shows you the results themselves. If they are nowhere to be found on Google, their website doesn’t work, and their social media presence is zero, they are no good for you.
Online marketing is not a straightforward matter. It is multi-pronged, ever changing, and dynamic. aWhen digital marketing becomes increasingly vital to the growth and success of a company, the need for agency with established, up-to-the-minute expertise is becoming increasingly important. Go in with your eyes open, keeping in mind these red flags as you start your search. Once you have figured out that the agency is consistent with your brand and that the record and customer service you are looking for is established, you will be on your way to establishing one of your business’ most important connections.
For more information check out our podcast here!
Are You Looking for A Digital Marketing Agency You Can Trust?
Magnified Media is a website designer and digital marketing agency specializing in helping their client dominate local search results. They help businesses and small companies throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond stand out, so they can be of service to even more clients and customers. Headquartered in Walnut Creek, California, we are their trusted SEO solution, focused on doing three things: getting them more online reviews, getting their website seen in the Google 3 Pack, and creating content for their social media platforms. Want to learn more? Check out our weekly podcast, Local SEO in 10, for tons of tips on how you can supercharge your Google presence so the phones keep ringing!